Distance from the hotel: 27 km
Red Lake is a barrier lake in the Eastern Carpathians chain in Harghita County, Romania. The name of "Lacul Roşu" comes from the reddish alluvia deposited in the lake by the Red Creek. The lake falls within the jurisdiction of the municipality of Gheorgheni.
The legend says once a criminal from the mountains kidnapped a beautiful girl from the town of Gheorgheni. The girl was so desperate that she called for help from the mountains. To her call, the rocks and boulders ran down to the walley, burrying the criminal, but also the girl. Scientificly the only fact is that the lake was really born by a landslide damming multiple creeks in the region.
The unique view of the lake is given by the remainings of the forest once standing in place of the lake.
Distance from the hotel: 32 km
The Bicaz Canyon (Cheile Bicazului - literally The Keys of Bicaz in Romanian, Békás Szoros in Hungarian) is one of the most spectacular places in Romania, located in the north-east part of the country, in Neamţ and Harghita counties.
The canyon was dug by the waters of Bicaz River and it serves as a passageway between the Romanian provinces of Moldova and Transylvania. It is a noted location to see the wallcreeper, an uncommon cliff-dwelling bird. The road along the 8 kilometres of ravines, often in serpentines with rock on one side and a sheer drop on the other, is one of the most spectacular drives in the country. Also within the Chei is Lacul Roşu (the Red Lake), with its traditional cabins, hotels, and its famous lake (situated at 980m altitude) caused by a landslide in the 19th century. Cheile Bicazului is one of the main rock climbing sites in Romania.
Distance from the hotel: 68 km
Sovata is situated between the Corund River and the valley of the Târnava Mică River . It can be reached from Târgu-Mureş, Miercurea-Ciuc and Odorheiu Secuiesc on the 13A main road and from Reghin on a connection road. It formed part of the Székely Land region of the historical Transylvania province. The first data about Sovata are from 1578. By 1583 it already was a village.
The geological events in 1875 gave birth to the Bear Lake, which is unique in Europe, its water being helio-thermal and salty, with well-known therapeutic effects (for chronic gynecological symptoms, severe rheumatic pains, peripheral nervous system and post-accidental motor diseases). There are four more salty lakes: Nut Lake, Black Lake, Red Lake and Green Lake.
Salt mine, Praid
Distance from the hotel: 52 km
The underground visiting place is on "Level 50" which is on 120 m deep from the surface. The private transport of the people is with buses on a 1250 m long tunnel to the entrance gate of the visiting base. Arriving to the visiting level you can enjoy all of the benefits of a small village: illumination, Wi-Fi, television, playground for the children, creative and amusement places, ecumenical chapel, Coffee Shop, 3D Cinema and a naturist drugstore.
All these are in mission to make your abstention full of mirth in a pleasant and extraordinary space. The average annually underground temperature is 16 degrees Celsius.
On the exit way from the Visiting level at "Level 60" you can find the Lookout Point "Iosif Mine". On the same level you can participate on wine tasting programme and you can serve your meal choosing from a rich menu of our restaurant.
During a year our salt mine is visited by about 400000 people. In summer period the number of entrances per day can be reached at 2500/3000 person.
The Lázár Castle
Distance from the hotel: 8 km
The Lázár Castle was built between 1450 and 1532 in several stages. In the late 16th century, Druzsina, daughter of István Lázár married Farkas Bethlen of Iktár, and to this marriage was born the future prince of Transylvania Gabriel Bethlen. He was brought up in the castle and his upstairs room in the gate tower can still be seen unto this day. In 1631, the castle was expanded and altered into a magnificent Renaissance manor house, towers and curtain walls were also built. It became one of the important military and administrative centers of the Székely Land. On September 6, 1658, a team of Szeklers led by a student named Gábor Székely defeated the invading Tatars and Moldovans.
The dead were buried on a hill below the village which is called until today Tatarhill. A plaque was put up in 1908 in memory of the battle. The Szekely Land was often hit by Ottoman invasions and on one occasion, the castle was seriouly damaged. During the Hungarian war of independence of Ferenc II Rákóczi, Ferenc Lázár supported the operations of the kuruc troops. In 1707, when the imperial army marched into Transylvania, Ferenc Lázár had to flee to Csángós to Moldova. Imperial general Acton set fire to the castle and only a bastion remained intact.
After the Peace of Szatmár, Ferenc Lazár pledged allegiance to the Habsburg Emperor and thus was able to keep his estates. When the castle was burned down again in 1748, the family, was not able any more to restore all parts of it, and what was restored was made partly from donations of the villagers. Finally in 1842, it was almost completely destroyed by another fire. In the 19th century, the financial status of the Lázár family started to deteriorate and only the gate tower remained suitable for habitation. After last Lázár heir, Zsigmond and his wife, left the castle in 1853, it fell even further into decay.
Nowadays, much of the castle has been renovated. Renovation of the renaissance murals started in 1987 with the help of UNESCO.
Lake Saint Anne
Distance from the hotel: 98 km
Lake Sfânta Ana (Hungarian: Szent Anna-tó, meaning St. Anne Lake in both languages) is the only crater lake in Romania located in the volcanic crater named "Puciosul" (Büdös-hegy or Stinky Mountain) of the Eastern Carpathians, near Tuşnad in the Natural Reserve of Mohoș, Harghita County, Romania.
Palynology studies concluded that the history of Lake Saint Anne began about 9,800-8,800 years ago, at the stage of peat bog and shallow lake. It has an oval form and an area of 220,000 m². According to measurements made in 2005, the maximum depth of the lake is 6.4 m and the sediment thickness is about 4 m. The lake is supplied exclusively from precipitations, therefore the degree of mineralization of the water is very low. The water purity approaches of that of distilled water, with only 0.0029 ml mineral. In winter, the lake is covered with a layer of ice of up to 1 m. Near the lake there is a Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to Saint Anne.
Distance from the hotel:: 85 km